Show me Tell me questions
At the start of your driving test you'll be asked two questions by your examiner, one will be 'Show me' and the other will be 'Tell me'.One or both questions answered incorrectly will result in one driving fault being recorded on your test sheet. The questions will be about the basic safety checks that should be carried out by all drivers to ensure that the vehicle is safe to use.
Below is a list of potential questions that you could be asked:
- Open the car bonnet and Show how you would check the oil level. Tell the examiner how you know if the car has sufficent oil.( You will not be required to actually check the oil, just to explain the procedure).
- Open the bonnet and Show where the windscreen wash is and Tell the examiner how you'd check the washer level.
- Open the bonnet and Show where the brake fluid is then Tell the examiner how you check for a safe level of brake fluid.
- Open the car bonnet and Show where the engine coolant is located and Tell the examiner how to check that the engine has a safe level of coolant.
- Explain how you would check that the brake lights are working.
- Explain how you would check that the brakes are working before starting your journey.
- Explain how you would check that the tyres have sufficent tread depth and that their general condition is safe for the road.
- Explain where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressure of the current vehicle and how the pressure should be checked.
- Explain how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working before starting your journey.
- Show how you would switch on the rear fog lights and explain when you use them.
- Show how you would use the windscreen washer and wipers.
- Show how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively. You will be required to know how to clear both front and rear windowas.
- Explain how you would know if there was a problem with the anti locking brake system.
Remeber that you will only be asked one Show me question and one Tell me question. Your instructor will go over these in more detail.